Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 4 - Never Thought You'd Habit

Day 04- A habit that you wish you didn’t have

The word habit comes from the Latin word habitus which means to have something.  So a habit is something you have . . . we generally speak of a habit referring to a behavior pattern, or a nun's dress. (hehe I know, I'm a total dork) A lot of things could fall under this category, the former that is, for me: procrastinating, leaving my shoes by the door, not doing the dishes, biting my nails, etc. I don't have any nun dresses, although, I once had a priest tell me that if I wanted to look like an nun, I needed to wear a 1960's pant suit, and that is so not a lie. 

Most of them all relate to procrastination, which really is a habit I wish I didn't have.  It's so habitual in me that it is almost a way of life.  Really I think it is because I am a bad self motivator.  I need the impending doom of a deadline to get things done.  It's sad really, but when I look at my family, I think it's genetic. You know how last names sort of started based on what you did, like Smith because you were a blacksmith, well I am pretty sure Persch is the German word for lazyass procrastinator.  Really it means rock, but what's the difference.  It's like the family motto is why do today what you can put off until tomorrow, or even next week.  I think this is also why I start a lot of projects, and never finish them.  I am trying to do better, I need to kick this bad habit (or genetic malfunction) before I go back to school, cause I am going to have to read and write, a lot!

2 comments:

  1. Procrastination is definitely a family trait. Take me for example: I'm actually waiting for a response from Lori to see what time she wants to go out tomorrow, so I'll know how long I have before I REALLY have to get finished on my revisions. It's really pathetic (but its how I roll.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya on that, I do the same.

    ReplyDelete