Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Month of Thanks: Day 14

I am so thankful for music. The way it moves and stirs the soul. The way it comforts and afflicts. I was just watching Last week's episode of Glee and the version of Katy Perry's "Wide Awake" they sang moved me to tears. The power of music. It truly is amazing.

Seven years ago a bad case of acid re-flux/heartburn, cause me to get pre-nodes on my vocal chords, and I was on voice rest for three months. Not being able to sing, and it actually hurting for me to sing or talk was so difficult to endure. Singing is a large part of my worship. Like Saint Augustine Said, when you sing, you pray twice. During this time I could not fully participate at Mass because I could not sing, or say the responses, and it was heart breaking for me. I remember it was getting close to Christmas, and I was so upset that I did not think I'd be able to sing at Christmas Eve Mass that I was in tears. As it happened I was able to sing, I had to skip the Messiah before Mass which was a sacrifice in its own right, but I was able to sing at Mass and it was amazing.

Right now I have no where to sing, well besides when I am home alone (or think I am anyway) and I belt out a line or two, usually relating to what I am feeling. I don't know where I would be without music.

And as it inspired my thankful post today, here is "Wide Awake:"

No comments:

Post a Comment