Saturday, October 6, 2012

Unanswered Prayers or Blessing in Disguise?

So I was flipping through my journal from when I gave my BYA talk, because sometimes I need to read the affirmations from my fellow speakers, and I found an entry I wrote about St. Monica

From August 27, 2007 about 7 PM (in Adoration)

Today is the feast of St Monica, the patron saint of unanswered prayers.

Monica is just about the ultimate example of palanca. She lifted Augustine up in prayer everyday for years, seemingly without success.

He remained the faithless playboy he had been.

But deep down God was working, bringing Augustine to Ambrose.

It's funny how we think of our prayers and the way we want them answered, but God has different plans.

Monica probably wanted a quick, Paul-on-the-way-to-Damascus conversion for Augustine, but instead it was years and years, subtle turn by subtle turn.

Had Augustine had an instantaneous conversion, I think we'd lack an incredible example in our church. I know I relate better to Augustine than to someone like Therese of Lesieux.

Plus, Augustine opened the way for intellectuals in the Church. Without him theology wouldn't be what it is today.

St Monica has me thinking about unanswered prayers in my life. If prayers = instant gratification, I don't think that would be good. I have to agree with Garth Brooks--sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know the spacing and line breaks are strange, but I wanted to copy this how it was in the journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment