Thursday, March 21, 2013

Absolution . . .

Is there anything more wonderful in the world than hearing, "Your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more."

What a wonderful gift Jesus left us in His Church, the Sacrament of Reconciliation  where we can admit our short-comings, those times we "missed the mark," as the Hebrew word for sin translates. There is something so freeing about saying I did this, I know it was wrong, and I am sorry. As the Act of Contrition says, "I detest all my sins." But even better that getting these past transgressions off our chest is hearing that we have been forgiven for them. Yes, I suppose I could just confess my sins straight to Christ, but I would not get that confirmation of absolution, I would not know I was free of those sins. Also, I might not receive the grace to go and sin no more, although truth be told, I probably will sin again and probably not too far in the future, but it is important to try and do better. To try and be the person God is calling me to be. And if again, I miss the mark, it is important to run to the Sacrament and receive forgiveness.

We pray in the Our Father, "forgive us our trespassed as we forgive those who trespass against us." I am so glad that God doesn't forgive me the way I forgive others because I sometimes have trouble letting things go, but that is precisely what we are supposed to do, let these things go. We need to let our sins go, and we need to let the times that others have hurt us go. This is freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment