Monday, June 24, 2013

Planning to Plan to Plan and Falling Back on Hope

As the old joke goes, "If you want to see God laugh, make a plan." I must say I sort of had a plan for today, and it totally did not work out according to plan. I was really upset, but then I realized, it isn't the end of the world. It isn't even the last chance. There is still time, there is still opportunity, and I need to seize it.

I did realize though, in missing the chance, that it's a chance I don't want to miss. So many times I have let things slip by and regretted them later. Too often I let fear take control and get the last word. Over and over in my studies of ethics, I reiterate how we develop virtues by practicing them. So if I want to have courage I can only get it by doing courageous things, or if I want to have love, I must do loving things. I need to develop the habit so I can live it. And I cannot be brave or courageous by chickening out every chance I get.

So I'll face that fear and overcome it, but I'll cling to hope in the process. Not hope for the desired outcome (of course that is there as well), but hope that even if it doesn't go according to plan things will still be alright, I will survive, and I will carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment